It seems viruses are everywhere. If you have had the bad luck of catching one, or you do not feel you’re at 100%, we share with you our “immune booster Juice and some additional nutritional recommendations from our nutritionist, Kiira Cabrera.
Immune Booster Juice
- 1 orange
- 1 tangerine
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 slice of ginger root
- 1 slice of fresh turmeric root or half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 20 drops of Echinacea tincture
Liquefy and drink right away. We use the juice extractor, but if you don't have one you can use a normal orange squeezer, and grate the ginger root at the end, just before drinking.
- Drink a lot of liquids — natural juices, broths, miso soup, chicken soup, onion soup...
- Eat foods rich in Vitamin C, such as oranges, grapefruit, tangerines, kiwis, limes, spinach, cabbages, papaya...
- To relieve even the worst sore throat, make an infusion of grated ginger, honey, and the juice of 1 lemon.
- Avoid eating heavy foods, as they take a long time to digest and take away energy you need for your recovery.
- Avoid eating a lot, quickly, and mixing many ingredients. Keep your meals simple, light and eat slowly to help your digestive system. If our digestive systems are healthy, we will have strong immune systems. Here are some easily digested vegetables: potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, sweet potato, courgettes… very easy and fast to steam and enjoy with a splash of oil and salt or accompanied by a miso soup.
- If you are not hungry, DO NOT eat.
- Green juices: If the virus has not affected your digestive system, include a green juice per day to help to oxygenate your cells. If you have gastroenteritis or inflammation in the intestines, better NOT, because it can make the symptoms worse. Green leafy vegetables are a rich source of chlorophyll that help us to oxygenate our cells and detoxify our bodies.
- Include turmeric and ginger in your meals, juices and infusions. These are two winter roots with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that will help strengthen the immune system. One of my favorite ways to take turmeric is with this recipe of ‘Golden Milk’.
- No dairy, no sugar, no refined grains, no refined fats. Avoid foods that can promote mucus and inflammation.
- A natural antibiotic is Echinacea tincture, which helps to reduce fever, mucus and coughs associated with the common cold, flu or other respiratory system problems, helping to strengthen the immune system. It is recommended to take 20 drops 3 times a day diluted in half a glass of water.
- Take a supplement with a mixture of probiotics and prebiotics to strengthen your intestinal flora. I recommend those of the SAKAL brand: Diphilus, Lactobacillus, Bifidus. Take a teaspoon of coffee a day.
- Take fermented foods: kimchi, kombucha, kefir, choucrout… Try to sleep between 7-8 hours a day.
- Move. If your body allows it, go for a walk to breathe fresh air, or come and try our soft and restorative Bamboo Body class.
We hope this advise and recipe help keep those ugly viruses far away!!
Foto credits: Luis Brenes
This recipe is a variation from the original written in Spanish for the Company Vivir Despierto ¡¡Es Fácil… Si Sabes Como!!
About our nutricionist
Kiira Cabrera is an active nutritionist based in Barcelona, from where she develops different projects around human nutrition. She has studies in nutrition, circus arts and dance. This duality has encouraged her to investigate the relationship between movement and nutrition. How what we eat and when we eat it can strongly influence our physical development and our overall health. In 2016 she creates Tibukés kitchen, a catering project that is born from the illusion of sharing health conscious food with other collectives who also promote a responsible and sustainable lifestyle…